Applying for Social Security Disability

Applying for Social Security Disability benefits requires extensive information about you, your injury or illness, your medical records, and your work history. The more accurate and specific you can be in your application, the greater the chance your benefits will be approved. To know what the Social Security Administration is looking for and how to present it is difficult. Below is what you will need to give SSA to start your claim. You should write all this down before going to your local SSA office and applying for benefits.

Medical history: The Social Security Administration will want the names, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of service for all the doctors, hospitals, and clinics you’ve seen for your injury or illness. They will send requests for your medical records, but don’t count on them to receive everything. Make it your responsibility to get your medical records and submit them to the SSA.

Work history: Your application must include a complete work history that describes all the kinds of jobs you have held over the past fifteen years. The reason they want this information is to determine if your injury or illness prevents you from doing the type of work you have previously done.

Personal/educational history: Your age at the onset of the disability and your level of education will have a bearing on your case. The Social Security Administration recognizes that people who are older and have less education have more difficulty with retraining and finding new employment. They will also want to know if you have had any vocational schooling.

You can apply for SSD in person at your local Social Security office, by telephone, mail, or over the Internet. SSI can only be applied for at the Social Security office. I suggest making an appointment at your local office. It takes at least three to five months before you are notified of whether or not you were approved for Social Security Disability (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Once you have applied, you should contact an attorney immediately to help represent you in your case. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our firm at