Auto Accidents and Wage Loss Claims

Work loss benefits are payable to an injured person for three years following an accident, covering 85% of the gross lost wages. The maximum benefit is raised each year. The No Fault insurance company will reimburse wage loss up to the monthly statutory maximum for 3 years after the accident. For 2009, the monthly maximum is $4878.00. A doctor's disability slip and proof that you were earning a wage are required. If you were still looking for work or were temporarily unemployed at the time of an accident, you will still be able to receive benefits. If your earnings exceed the statutory maximum, then additional wages lost can usually be collected from the negligent driver's automobile insurer.

Every thirty days you should submit your claim for wage loss benefits, but claims for wage loss and income benefit claims must be submitted within one year of the date of your disability.

If your insurance company refuses to pay your wage loss benefits, your only recourse is to file a lawsuit against the insurance company that demands payment for the wage loss benefits.

If you choose to begin a lawsuit against your insurance company for No-Fault Benefits, you must file your lawsuit within one year of the date on which the last unpaid No-Fault Benefits was incurred. If you fail to file your lawsuit within this year one year period, you will lose your right to have the benefits or expense paid.

If you have questions, call our Michigan law office today.

Categories: Personal Injury