Michigan Divorce Residency Requirements

Our office often gets phone calls from potential divorce clients that have just moved to Michigan. There is a residence requirement in Michigan in order to get divorced. You must live in Michigan for 180 days prior to you filing your complaint for divorce. Also, you must reside in the county in which you file for at least 10 days before you file your complaint for divorce.

It does not matter if you live in Michigan and your spouse lives in another state. You can still file a complaint for divorce in Michigan. Michigan’s “long-arm” statute gives effect to service of the divorce papers, even when served out of state. The out of state spouse is simply given a bit more time, an additional seven days, to respond to the Summons and Complaint.

If you are having a tough time with your marriage and you have questions about divorce please feel free to contact at Allan W. Ben P.C. for a free consultation. You can contact our office at info@allanwbenpc.com or 248-540-0677 . We handle divorce cases in Oakland County, Macomb County, Wayne County, Washtinaw County and Livingston County. We will aggressively handle your divorce case.