A Child Can Also Get Benefits if a Parent is Receiving SSD Benefits

PDF Print

A child or children whose parent is disabled can sometimes receive disability benefits. These benefits are called “auxiliary benefits” by Social Security. Several requirements must be met:

a. The disabled parent must be receiving Title 2 Social Security Disability benefits. If the parent is receiving 16 SSI benefits, there are no auxiliary benefits available. Auxiliary benefits are benefits paid to a spouse or minor child of a disabled individual.

b. You have to be able to prove that the child is the child of the disabled parent. This is usually a non-issue, but there are instances where this is disputed. For example, the father’s name is not on the child’s birth certificate.

c. The child has to be under 18 or 19 if still in high school.

Call us now at 1-866-540-0677 (toll-free) for a free consultation about Social Security disability benefits. While our office is in Bingham Farms, Michigan, our Michigan Social Security lawyers work with people in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan area, including Oakland County, Wayne County, Macomb County, Livingston County, Monroe County, Genesee County, Washtenaw County and other areas throughout Michigan. 


Social Security Evaluation

For a free consultation regarding your Social Security legal matter, please fill out the below form.

Applicant's Information:

Full Name

Street Addresss



Zip Code

Phone Number

Date of Birth

Best Time to Reach You?

E-mail Address

What is applicants relationship to you?

Is the applicant already receiving Social Security benefits?

Marital Status of Applicant

Health Condition That Prevents Applicant From Working

Has applicant been, or expect to be, out of full-time work for at least 12 months (earning LESS THAN $1,000 in payroll checks per month)?

Has applicant applied for Social Security Benefits before?

If denied Social Security benefits, was there an appeal?

If yes, when did Applicant appeal?

Was applicant denied the appeal?

Does the issue involve asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma or lung cancer?

Is this application for a child (Under 18)?

Please provide brief description of situation:

Enter Code


Contact With Your Children After Your Divorced is Final

When one thinks of custody and visitation in a divorce case, the first thing that most likely comes to mind is: "When will I see my children?" An important aspect ... Read More

Firm News

Social Security Disability Victory

The client was 18 years old. She was diagnosed with Polio when she was younger. She suffered from atrophy of her left leg and posterior ankle contracture. The judge found ... Read More

Contact Us

Allan W. Ben PC
30600 Telegraph Road, Suite 3130
Bingham Farms, MI 48025
Phone: 1-866-540-0677
Fax: 1-248-540-2191
E-mail: info@allanwbenpc.com


©2014 Allan W. Ben, PC
Photo Courtesy of DBusiness Magazine
Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy
Law Firm Website by The Modern Firm